Sunday, July 29, 2007

From Paris to Berlin Part 1

Paris - the last part




Like in Rome, we decided to do a night tour of the major attractions. However, where the majority of historical sites in Rome were seemingly lit up with a 40w bulb, the French know how to put on a light show. The Eiffel Tower has a fifteen minute window every hour where thousands of light bulbs sparkle like thousands of, urm, sparkly things. Those in the crowd on acid seemed very impressed.


As Paris is home to some of the best and biggest art collections in the world, we spent a lot of time checking out places such as the Louvre where we saw the Mona Lisa. Behind its bullet proof glass and the hundreds of people crowding around it, well, it seemed a bit small and sad really. I think its just one of those things where people see something not because its famous as an amazing art work but because its famous for being famous... much like Paris Hilton. Anyhow, you can't photo the Mona Lisa so I took a picture of my favourite painting entitled "Who fed the hell hound chocolate? It was that guy!!!"


As well as my favourite sculpture, the four man penis inspection.



We also visited the Pompidou, the biggest modern art gallery in Paris. I have a mainly hate/hate relationship with modern art because I see most of it as self indulgent twaddle dressed up with self importance and bullshit. However, there were some amazing works...


...as well as some complete crap. Yes, they are skinned fluffy animals. No, its not very clever and I've seen it done before and better.


We also went to see Monet's Waterlilies that took up eight walls of two huge rooms. Dude had some time on his hands apparently.


The crap thing about Paris was that the only place I could find free wireless for my laptop was at the Pompidou and a McDonalds. Damn, do I hate McDonald's but we'd go in, grab someone else's rubbish off another table and pretend like we were eating there. Then I noticed that on the back of McDonald's garbage they're teaching kids to do devil signs which proves my point that McDonalds are in league with Satan and Slayer. Fact!



Also Andy and Lucy were in town for a couple of days so we had dinner with one night in a fancy restaurant. There's nothing better than seeing crew in dazzling, exotic locations so it was great to catch up with them again after their London engagement bbq. Andy got adventurous and tried the Pig's Ear which proved once and for all where the phrase "making a pig's ear of something" comes from. It looked wholly disgusting, inedible and downright wrong. Bon Appétit!


So that was Paris. It was beautiful, the people were friendly and they have the best pastries on earth. Really, these people eat chocolate croissants for breakfast which is like eating a block of butter covered in chocolate sauce. I love this town!!! And yeah, this is the place where Amelie gave Nino his photo book back after using cut up zorro pictures to communicate... yay!



Next stop: Barcelona by night train. Peace out! V for Victory! (Maybe)

--
I'd like to apologise to anyone I know who has ever had back pain. I probably sympathised with you at the time because I thought I knew what back pain was. I didn't, well, not until I threw mine out on Friday and was almost throwing up from the pain. I didn't understand. I am sorry. Now you really have my sympathy. (I'm all better now though).

No comments: